noun si·lence \ˈsī-lən(t)s\
- A lack of sound or noise
- The sound of an empty school after the last student or teacher or cafeteria supervisor has left for the day.
- The sound of an empty house that was expecting its occupant to come home today, but they didn’t.
- The sound of someone who would like to speak, would like to shout even, but can’t breathe.
- The sound of a group of people, standing still, heads bowed, candles lit, wax dripping, thoughts sent upward.
- The sound of millions of people not raising their voice against the systemic oppression of millions of other people.
- The sound of a taillight, flickering out.
- The deafening quiet that immediately follows the crack of gunfire.